Stand and Deliver!
by Peter Farrell –Tennis Coach Ireland
In a baseline rally, should you try to play from near the baseline or from farther back behind the baseline? There are always situations in which you will want to back off and give yourself a little more time, but keep in mind that there are many advantages to taking up a position near the baseline:
1. The earlier you hit the ball, the quicker it will get to your opponent.
2. You will be quicker to move forward and attack a short ball.
3. Your opponent’s shots cannot pull you as wide as when you are farther back.
4. You will be able to hit more widely angled shots.
5. You will be hitting the ball at a higher point, allowing you potentially to attack more.
6. Rallying from near the baseline sends your opponent a message – you are an attacking player!